controlled access point
An access point recorded in an authority record.
Controlled access points include authorized forms of names as well as those designated as variant forms. They may be:
- based on personal, family, and corporate names,
- based on names (i.e., titles) for works, expressions, manifestations, and items,
- a combination of two names, as in the case of a name/title access point representing a work that combines the name of the creator with the title of the work,
- based on the terms for events, objects, concepts, and places,
- based on identifiers, such as standard numbers, classification indices, etc.
Other elements (such as dates) may be added to the name per se for the purpose of distinguishing between entities with identical or similar names.