Descriptive cataloguing is the part of the cataloguing process concerned with the detailed description of an item as well as with determining the name(s) and title(s) that will be used as access points to the bibliographic record.
International Standard Bibliographic Description (ISBD) defines 8 areas of description. Those are
• the title and statement of responsibility area
• the edition area, (eg. 2nd edition)
• the area for specifying the material or type of the resource
• the area for information on ublication, production, distribution, etc.
• the physical description area (eg. number of pages, illustrations etc)
• the area for the series statement
• the notes area (for bibliography, indexes, language etc)
• the standard number and terms of availability area (eg. ISBN, ISSN)